How To Make Good Pitch Shots Against Strong Winds
Golf is a really complicated game with its own ups and downs. It requires different techniques for different scenarios and conditions. Strong wind is really a problem for players because it not only decreases the speed of your hit but also changes its direction. It affects all the shots of a player and specially, it affects the pitch shot as it is a medium range aerial shot. There are different ways to tackle such strong winds which are explained below.
- Playing a shot into the wind or against the wind requires you to either hit a Stinger shot or hit a strong aerial shot. Stinger shot requires a lot of experience and one should be really good at it before thinking of taking the risk.
- For tackling the strong winds, you have to de-loft the ball and move your hands a little further from the club, this will reduce the height of the ball and the wind will then have less effect on the ball.
- You should keep an eye on the trees around you before playing a shot as it will give you an idea of the direction and speed of the wind. After examining, you can play a calculated shot.
- If you want to land the ball softly, hit the ball in the direction against the wind. But if you want it to cover more distance, you can curve the ball in the direction of the wind. This will help the ball cover more distance but will drive it away from the target.
- The most important thing in pitching the ball is having a proper grip. Pitching the ball hard with full grip will give you more control on the ball and hence your shot will be nearly accurate.
- Sometimes the golfers keep an eye on the blades of grass that are moving with the wind. By looking at them, they miscalculate the speed of the wind, as it increases at height. So you should be very careful with this calculation as your whole game is dependent on it.
- The wind may change the direction with the height and that really affects the shot. So you should aim for a low height as that will decrease the effect of wind on the ball.
- If you want the ball to travel a long distance without any curve, spin the ball against the direction of the wind. That will result in a more precise shot.